Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall Wreath




I am obsessed with wreaths. I love them for fall or Christmas. When I go to someone's house and they have one I always check it out. It fell in love with Christmas wreaths and it grew to include fall wreaths. It started where I use to work, they would decorate for the holidays with heavenly smelling pine wreaths and swags of pine garland. They would do this when we were not there and when we would show up for our next shift, we'd be greeted to a place that magically changed into a beautiful warm and cozy atmosphere. The smell was amazing, because they used real pine. Towards the end though we'd find pine needles everywhere!

I have a confession to make. As much as I love wreaths and love how they can transform a space, I've never had one and never made one. I know, how is that possible? I have actually gone so far as to asked for them as a Christmas present.

So, this year I've decided that this is the year of the wreath! Not only am I going to have one, we as a family are going to make it, well, at least design it as a family and I'll put it together. Now, we have a new family tradition, for fall and winter we will make wreaths together.

So, here is our fall wreath project designed by our daughter and I. This was super easy to do, and I didn't even have to use a hot glue gun! I didn't have to use a hot glue gun because I did not layer the flowers or berries. If I was going to sell this wreath I would definitely use one. I also plan on taking it apart and using it as a holiday wreath, (because I'm cheap) and I couldn't do that if it was all glued down

Supplies:
I got everything at Hobby Lobby. I was really lucky the day I went, everything I needed was half off! The prices below are the full price.

Grapevine $6.99
Miscellaneous Flowers ranging from $2.99 to $3.99
Berries $2.99
Dahlia $6.99
Wire cutters, I had theses on hand


I really wanted this to be a family project, so while our daughter was at school her dad and I went on a trip to Hobby Lobby. My budget for this was right around $20. I'm glad I took him with me because I got to see what he gravitated to for when we do the holiday wreath.



1. We started with the three big flowers. I wanted the three flowers to be laid out off center on the top left, that was my only request. Then our daughter took over.

 It was the end of the week, excuse the mess!




 2. With a starting point it was really easy for her to lay out her design. I swear she was done in like 5 minutes and it looked really good.

3. So, once she had everything laid out, I got to work. I used my wire cutters to snip off some of the stems I didn't want. The berries were easy, I just unraveled them from the wire stem.









4. Since I wasn't planning on using a glue gun, I need to make sure the stem had a little length so I could fish it through the grapevine.


5. I did this with all of the branches. It really couldn't have been easier! We didn't fill in gaps because all three of us really liked the way the grapevine looked, so we wanted to make sure you could see it. I could have taken all of the branches apart to have more, but I didn't really need to do that.

6. Here is the finished wreath. Yes, it's on my table and no, it still isn't hung. We couldn't quite agree on where we wanted it. I wanted it on the door, he wanted it on a wall so you could see it when you walk in our house. Now, I think it's going above the TV. Or...maybe we should make two more?



I'm not sure why wreaths intimidated me before, this was super easy and fast! Now, I'm thinking in layers for the next one...








How about you, have you made your own fall wreath this year? I'd love to hear from you! Also, if you have a photo, please share it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment