Friday, October 11, 2013

Cereal Box Makeover



Alright, I'm going to just come out and say this, I have way too many magazines. I have ones I recycle and ones I keep. Anything that has to do with food, yoga, beads or diy are keepers and the rest are recycled. In an earlier post I said how I was late to the joys of scrapbook paper and now I'm playing catch up.This is a very easy and cheap way to hide the magazines you keep.



This cabinet is a work in progress for me. I shove cookbooks, photos and magazines in it and it usually looks like an unorganized mess. Especially since it's rocking so many different colors. So, no matter how much I reorganize it, it will always look messy until I can unify the color scheme. I've decided to start with the magazines- then I'll move on to the books. Maybe make some book covers?

Supplies:
Cereal Boxes
Scrapbook Paper- 2 for each box
Mod Podge
Foam Brush

I purchased everything I needed from Michael's and the cereal boxes came from my neighbor and sister. I used the one pound boxes. This was a very fast project, it took me longer to pick out the paper I wanted to use than actually putting it together. I wanted a color combination that would be soothing and not jump out at me. Basically I wanted the colors to blend in and recede into the background. Although, yellow is not one you would normally think of doing that, this yellow is really muted. All three colors together seemed to give me the effect I was looking for.
My lovely paper




1. I measured where I wanted to cut. From the bottom I  measured 5 inches up and the side 3 1/2. I wanted to make sure the magazine wouldn't flop out.




2.I saved the part that I cut out and used it as a template for the rest of the boxes and it save a lot of time because I didn't need to measure the rest of the boxes. I just traced around it and cut.

3. I then took my paper and laid it out to see how it wanted to hide the seam. The best way to do that was to hide it on the side of the box on the opposite side of the cut.


4. I then took my mod podge and started slathering it on the box. I laid the first piece of scrapbook paper on top of it and smoothed it out the best I could. With the first one I didn't do a very good job of it, but by the third one I had gotten the hang of it. Then I just repeated it on the other side.


5. After I had both sides done I just stared cutting the excess away. I left about a 1 1/2 inches so I could fold the paper over the sides and I used the Mod Podge to glue it down. On the bottom I just folded the paper like a present.


On the sides and top I had to cut a few slits so it folded nicely.

You can totally see the bubbles here.

6. When everything was in its place I brushed on a layer of Mod Podge over the surface of the paper to protect it.


I really like the way these turned out and I think it's a great way to upcycle something that was destined for the recycle bin.


This is where my new magazine holders found there home. Like I said before this cabinet still needs a lot of work, but it's one step closer to being organized now. I'll probably get it just how I want it and then need to take everything out so I can stain it, because that is on my list too.

Have any of you done this same project? Have you tried it with fabric? Please post a picture if you do this project, I'd love to see it.




No comments:

Post a Comment